Friday, June 26, 2015

Whats going on

Everyday more and more I dread following my same routine that I have observed for the last 30+ years. Wake up, grab a coffee and read the sports and world news. The first thing you read is violence, beheadings, race killings, hate crimes! When does this shit end? People being killed for the color of skin , children being executed for eating during Ramadan , a man gets beheaded for simply going to work in France, tourists being gunned down for simply trying to enjoy life and experience as much of this beautiful world as possible  . Maybe I am naive to think that there could be just one day that I could open the paper or MSN / CNN and find the top story to be heartwarming full of compassion or just feel good in nature like the one about that policeman that sung a song to a little girl to distract from the fact her father just died in a car crash (tragic but a great sign of compassion). So far just this week I have seen a person beheaded in France , a  sick young man in the U.S. Walk into a church and kill people for the color of their skin , I have seen a man shoot up a coffee shop in Canada , churches burned down presidents making racial slurs animals on the planet becoming extinct star athletes being charged with drug possession and 2 super power nations bicker back and forth like a couple of school kids on the playground , also a so called world leader claim to have cured cancer , built a nuclear weapon all while starving his own people as he lives a hypocritical lifestyle. Maybe it's because of the Internet and the availability to information on an instantaneous level but we have to wake up and realize that this is not just an isolated problem, this is a global epidemic. Violence destruction and hate is now covering the globe in an alarming rate. I find myself speechless at times because I am too busy thinking to myself, what kind of world is going to be left for our children or our children’s children . When I was young  and I am sure so many of you would agree , we never spent any time in the house except to eat or sleep I was always out doors running the neighborhood with my friends not to find trouble but to simply have fun!  My favorite thing to do was ride my bike and I damn sure knew that when the street lights came on, I better get home or there would be trouble. Then there was the Mom's hotline , Mom would stand on the porch and call my name , someone's mom on the next street would hear it and because we all new each other the message would get passed along until it caught up with me and that was our version of FaceTime. Do we even really know who lives beside or around us anymore?. Being a parent to 3 boys I am terrified to let my kids out to play without supervision , worried someone may take them , someone may abuse them at school or the sports coach might touch the inappropriately . Will they be bullied to the point that they want to hurt themselves for being different? We never used to worry about these things. I simply just don't get it, where did we lose our ability to have respect for each other? Lose all respect for human life.  I know that I have rambled on and shared some points of view that some may think are over reactive in nature and that's ok these are my opinions and you have yours I am not naive enough to think everyone will like my approach. It is time that we take back our world our countries our communities and it all starts on our own street. Get to know who your neighbor is not for the color of their skin or for what god they decide to follow but as a person , report crime when you see it and be a positive teacher and role model for your children because they are not born haters they are taught , learn the warning signs that people may be out to harm others  and stand up for the future of our children whether that be in the schools or in government or your own neighborhood  , voice your opinion or the legacy that we leave behind may be a dark one. It takes one person to start, it will take all of us to finish

No comments:

Post a Comment