Monday, November 24, 2014

Never Grow Up


Today marks the 30 day countdown

As it stands while I write it’s now 30 days left until Christmas 2014! I as many of you are getting excited and amped up for the holiday season.

I have been so impressed with the love and support that you all have shown both on twitter and on my new Facebook page. 24,000 followers on twitter and almost 1500 likes on Facebook so far, WOW that is way beyond my expectations. Fundraiser sales have not materialized as I had hoped but at least we can say we tried our best.

With a growing number of people learning about Fraser Valley Secret Santa I have been exposed to those who display hate towards the holidays as well, I will say that I respect the fact that people have their own opinion but the question that I have is if you detest Christmas so much how come you are visiting my page on a regular basis and commenting so often? let’s be clear there have not been a ton of negative Christmas feedback I don’t want you to think that I am inundated but there has been a few. The most common snipe that you hear is “Grow Up” and my answer to that is why? The world that we live in is so diluted with death, abuse, war, terror and negativity why not take a season that brings happiness and joy to most around the world and celebrate it! Embrace it and carry it as far as it will go to give that temporary reprieve from the negative. Having the look of excitement on children’s faces not only Christmas morning but for months before and months after just by simply saying the word Santa is enough for me to continue. It’s the negative in this world that breeds more negativity and the same would happen if people became more positive.

The reasons for me doing what I do not only at Christmas but all year round is simply for the fact that if people continually see positive things happen and are exposed to Random acts of kindness they just may in turn commit a random act of kindness towards others. Prime example was the other day I was at Tim Horton’s getting my coffee and I decided to purchase coffee for the 3 people in line behind me, each person was pleased and thanked me but it’s what they did that made the difference, 2 of the people put the coffee money they were to use in the donation jar to send Children to camp and the 3rd person took the opportunity to pay it forward and bought the person behind them their coffee. So with one simple act of kindness we were able to create 4 smiles, help raise money for Children’s Charity and have people we don’t even know to start their day on a positive note. The best gift that I got from the whole experience is that my son was with me and he saw firsthand that being kind to others makes you feel good and can truly make a difference. I am quite sure that solving the world’s problems is not going to happen just from purchasing someone’s morning coffee but I think it’s a great place to start.

So the next time some tells you to “grow up” or hears Christmas is too commercialized and so on and so on, I would say to them “ Christmas is what you make of it , it doesn’t have to be expensive or elaborate it just has to be celebrated with the ones you love, that’s why celebrating with family, friends and the ones you care about are a gift , they are present” as for growing up , I don’t think that will ever happen for me anyways I love the way the season makes me feel and the joy that surrounds it. Never let the kid in you be taken away by anyone, believe in Magic   

Keep visiting fvsecretsanta.com and countdown with me   

No comments:

Post a Comment