Thursday, May 9, 2013

HOME



Have you ever wondered what people are talking about when you hear them say “OH your city is so beautiful” and you look at them like “HUH”??? I used to do that all the time until I moved to Toronto for 4 months in my 20’s.
As a young man I had the opportunity with my job to go to Toronto (Milton) for 2 weeks on assignment, unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it that assignment turned into 4 months living in a hotel. The first couple of days the biggest difference I found was the air, for the first time in my life I did not smell the ocean. When asking one of my employees, where is the hills and mountains I was met with a strange look, the response was “well we have the escarpments and a ski hill” longing for home I asked for a tour. The Ski Hill in Milton was the destination and as I was staying at the Ramada in Milton with a very lovely view of the prison out my window, the trip to the hill was short. When arriving at the Ski Hill I have to admit that I have never giggled so hard in my life, I think my driveway had a bigger incline to it. I knew then that I really missed Vancouver and the Fraser valley. Nothing against Ontario, this just was not home. All that I had heard about Torontonians and how they were rude and think they live in the center of the universe was unfounded; I felt welcomed and was treated with the utmost respect.
One important thing I did learn and was shocked by was that my tour guide had never seen the ocean or the mountains, only in books or on TV. At that moment I realized just how lucky I was and YES I did live in a beautiful city. Sure I did the tourist traps while I was in Ontario , Hockey Hall of fame 22 times , CN tower and of course the beautiful Niagara falls . I attended hockey games in Hamilton and in the ACC, absolutely great experiences and Ontario is beautiful in its own unique way but it was not home.
We here in Vancouver have to be some of the luckiest people on the planet, surrounded by lush rainforest, amazing mountains, and of course access to the Pacific Ocean whenever we wish. Vancouver has become such a diverse environment in the last 20 years that it is actually amazing to watch how it has transformed. One area that I am extremely proud of is Vancouver’s commitment to green space. Though out each community in the GVR you will find parks, man-made stocked lakes where you can fish with your kids or just sit and watch the eagles and other various wildlife.
I have travelled to other parts of the world and found some very beautiful sights sounds and people, it’s just now I appreciate my home even more when I return. If you have never been to Vancouver and are planning a trip here are some of the places that I recommend. My very own top 10
1.       Stanley Park – walk the park, take the train (Christmas Train is amazing) or  the Aquarium well worth the visit  www.stanleypark.com
2.       White Rock – just outside of Vancouver maybe 30 minutes, this is a beautiful little sea side town that offers shopping and eating experiences that cannot be beat and a view that will make you melt      http://www.hellobc.com/white-rock.aspx
3.       Whistler village – 2 hours from Vancouver , home of most of the 2010 winter Olympic alpine events – words cannot describe the beauty in all seasons http://www.whistler.com/
4.       Penticton/ Okanogan: my family and I go here camping and visiting family that we have there. Yes Canada does have desert like conditions. a beautiful lake beautiful town and beautiful people. 4 hour drive through the mountains but the scenery is worth every minute of the drive  http://www.hellobc.com/penticton.aspx
5.       Pagoda Ridge / Northview Golf and country clubs – amazing golf all around the GVRD and the province of BC http://pagodaridge.ca/  www.northviewgolf.com/‎
6.       Grouse Mountain gondola – spectacular views of the city all year round –tram ride to the top of the mountain have lunch and be amazed www.grousemountain.com‎
7.       Hells gate air tram – not for ones with a quezzy stomach look for yourself www.hellsgateairtram.com
8.       Cultas Lake – beautiful lake for camping, fishing , waterslides or just to enjoy a day at the beach www.cultuslake.bc.ca
9.       Victoria – fantastic cruise 1.5 hours from Vancouver by ferry or use helijet – take in museums and the history of the provinces capital – visit iconic Beacon Hill park –undersea gardens – wax museum. www.tourismvictoria.com
10.   My all-time favorite place to go and preach to everyone about it: Tofino/Longbeach- miles of pristine beaches with whale watching tours , storm watching , surfing Golfing , Camping , wildlife or just simply find a resort and sit in the hot tub and watch and listen to the surf pound the shore www.tofino-bc.com
With no disrespect intended for any other place in the world I understand the iconic line from the movie “The Wizard of OZ”
“There’s no place like Home”
You friend Fraser Valley Secret Santa
Follow me @fvsecretsanta on twitter  

1 comment:

  1. I too have been to the Milton area, as well as Pocatello, ID and Yellowstone Nat'l. Park. I think the best part of Milton was the friendliness of the people. I have to agree with you on the beautiful scenery not being found there. The mountainous area of the west, and even the rolling hills of my own homeplace hold much more eye candy and relaxation inducing properties. I would like to make back to the west for the wildlife as well.

    ReplyDelete