Thursday, April 4, 2013

MY top 10



As a Santa for the people, I get to have the pleasure of creating smiles and giving hope to some of those in our communities that cannot afford nor have the ability to help themselves. I realize that the art of giving back is not in all of us and I don’t hold that against anyone, it’s a life style choice. The advantage that I have is, I wake up each morning and I see my son who has a disability and it reminds me that the problems I have to face in the day seem minimal to what he has to live with every day.(yes I do see that as an advantage , make's me humble)
If we judge people only on the amount of money they give you are negating the whole purpose of what you are trying to achieve.
Option 1: Would you like to have 1 person donating a $1000.00 to your cause?
Or
Option 2: would you like to have 1000 people giving $2.00 each?
Its option 2 all the way, you have doubled your fundraising intake and now have 1000 people who believe in your charity and letting others know about your charity goals. The other exciting factor is that the average person has a social circle of approximately 150 people that they know. You have just grown your charity by 15,000 people. I will take that anyway of the week. Moral of the story is that when you find yourself feeling maybe sheepish or embarrassed that maybe you can only donate a small amount of change, just think “if you start counting the pennies, you lose track of the dollars you are creating”
Today I wanted to bring attention and mention some of my favorite Charities (all charities do amazing things) that I look forward to supporting in any way that I can all year long! The nice part about doing the SECRET Santa is I can do what I do with anonymity and the focus stays where it should be, with the people who need the help the most.  Do I donate a lot of money? I am just a blue collar guy who has the same economic issues as each one of you so the answer is, No not always, I feel that giving time to a charity is also a huge step in being part of a solution, and just as important to the outcome they are trying to achieve.
My personal top 10 charities
BC Children’s Hospitals   www.bcchildrens.ca / @BCCHF
Variety The children charity/  www.variety.bc.ca / @varietybc
BC Cancer society  www.bccancerfoundation.com /@BCcancer
Surrey Food Bank  www.surreyfoodbank.org / @Surreyfoodbank
Langley Animal shelter / Patti Dale www.lapsbc.ca /
Salvation Army   www.salvationarmy.ca / @Salvationarmy
Kidstart   www.kidstart.ca /
Terry fox foundation   www.terryfox.org / @terryfoxbcyukon
Canuck Place Children’s hospice     www.canuckplace.org / @canuckplace
SPCA   www.spca.bc.ca / @FMSPCA or any branch near to you

These are just some of the amazing charities that I like to support all year through. Last but not least is a charity that is very near to my heart and will always have my gratitude and support for what they have done for my son.
WarAmps Champ program. www.waramps.ca / @theWarAmps
They have no government funding and everything  that they do for children without limbs is provided through fundraising and private donations. For all of you that purchase WarAmp key chains each year, I thank you and my son thanks you for giving him the ability to have two arms just like the rest of his friends.
I would encourage all of you to have a look through the list of charities, read their Bio and discover just how much impact the charities, Staff and volunteers make in our communities with no concern for personal glory.  Look them up and Say Thank YOU.
Whether it be a few pennies or a few minutes of your time #giveback, it makes a world of difference

No comments:

Post a Comment