Thursday, February 7, 2013

OPEN YOUR MIND



Have you ever wanted to be perfect? Why? Once you achieve perfection there is nowhere else to go.
I find myself especially drawn to a fantastic site called mindcheck.ca. I am not drawn to the site because it’s part of the Canucks and the NHL but because it’s a fantastic way for people to self-evaluate or evaluate people you may fear have depression. Depression is not seen as a disability, what it should be seen as is DEBILITATING.
As a person who suffered a severe neck injury and multiple concussions when I was younger and a finely tuned athlete (at least that what I tell people) I can still to this day say that I suffer from the after effects 23 years later. I feel that I was one of the lucky ones that had a strong supporting cast behind me to get me through the dark days, some are not as lucky.
As often as a young man I wished that someone would ask me “what do you want to do?” “How can I help you?”, “do you want to talk?”Instead of “how are you doing?” I know that sounds strange but when you are asked 10-20 times per day “How are you doing” it becomes redundant and makes you feel like shutting down and not talking about the issue at hand.
The best advice that I can give someone is that if you ever feel like a friend, family member or co-worker is suffering from depression, ask the tough questions, and don’t give Advice! You should be there to listen to what the person has to say.
Be concerned if your loved one...

    Doesn’t seem to care about anything anymore.
    Is uncharacteristically sad, irritable, short-tempered, critical, or moody.
    Has lost interest in work, sex, hobbies, and other pleasurable activities.
    Talks about feeling “helpless” or “hopeless.”
    Expresses a bleak or negative outlook on life.
    Frequently complains of aches and pains such as headaches, stomach problems, and back pain.
    Complains of feeling tired and drained all the time.
    Has withdrawn from friends, family, and other social activities.
    Sleeps less than usual or oversleeps.
    Eats more or less than usual, and has recently gained or lost weight.
    Has become indecisive, forgetful, disorganized, and “out of it.”
    Drinks more or abuses drugs, including prescription sleeping pills and painkiller
Ways to start the conversation:

    I have been feeling concerned about you lately.
    Recently, I have noticed some differences in you and wondered how you are doing.
    I wanted to check in with you because you have seemed pretty down lately.

Questions you can ask:

    When did you begin feeling like this?
    Did something happen that made you start feeling this way?
    How can I best support you right now?
    Have you thought about getting help

I as many of you have wished that I could wave a magic wand, find a genie in a bottle or win the lottery to change my whole life so that things would be different. Now I find myself wondering why I would want to change my life’s path , I would not be who I am today if I did not have the trials and tribulations that I have endured over my life time , I would not have Mrs. Santa , and I would not have my Kids .
A special thanks to all the mental health care providers that help to save lives and educate on a daily basis
Thank to Mr Kevin Bieksa for his hard work bring light to the ones suffering the Dark Days  
@mindcheck_ca
@VanCanucks

No comments:

Post a Comment