Friday, October 5, 2012

Special Thanks to Special People


Well hello everyone:
As I sit here and write this week’s post I am reminded and humbled on how #FVsecretsanta got started on twitter with my first 2 follower’s @gypsy_mamma and @kiatopia. Due to the belief of these two fine people FVSS has now grown to over 600 followers and have had a donation from @timhortons of 10x$10.00 gift cards, hats and team photos from the @bclions and just found out the other day a very generous donation from an anonymous follower who sent money to @ronaldMcDonaldhouse because of FVSS and will be sending money direct to a Santa Charity of choice. And countless people are performing Random Acts of Kindness. Thank you
Because of the generosity of others I have the chance this week to take 2 individuals to their first professional sporting event on Saturday night. The @bclions  have been so gracious in helping me to make this a special event for these gentlemen by arranging seating for them and their attendants (thanks LISA). I would like to thank Travis Lulay , Adam Bighill and Geroy Simon for taking a few moments to sign a team photo and personalize the autograph for my clients. As big fans of the sport but no funds to purchase tickets I know that this will be an event they will never forget.
Just as a small example to explain why these gentlemen cannot afford to go to sporting events or many community events at all. One of the clients I will be taking to the game is a fantastic 27 year old man with Cerebral Palsy, this man has seen his share of obstacle’s in his life and with the government cut backs, he remains in a home that he is supported and loved but now receives what is called comfort funds in the Total of $12.02 per month for activities. This is no joke but I am not sure who of us can live on $12.02 per month. So when you see me trying to fund raise and gather tickets or event passes this is why I am trying. Most persons with mental health or in the care of the ministry receive a maximum of $95.00 per month to live.
This week with the help of Tim Horton’s we have been able to Drop cards off to unsuspecting people in the community. I was able to meet with Travis Lulay and he has signed a couple of the cards so that the persons receiving them get a special extra bonus and maybe a smile that is a wee bit larger.
I have also tried to promote a Charity hockey game that will be taking place called Kevin Bieksa and Buddies
The money will be donated to Canuck Place, fantastic event and a great cause. The NHL strike has not just affected us as the viewers and fans, but also the staff at the arenas, surrounding businesses and the local charities that hockey supports. Let’s not make the children suffer no matter whose side you are on in the NHL debate, please support this cause. @kbieksa3 follow him and keep updated on this game or possible games in your area to help local charities.
I will personally donate $100 to the @canuckplace on behalf of FVsecretsanta and friends when my follow account gets to 1000. Help us get there for charity.
The weather is starting to turn cold I would encourage everyone to have a quick look through your closets for any blankets or warm clothes that you may not wear anymore and find a shelter or drop off center to donate. Giving back is the best way to ensure that people don’t give up!
Thanks everyone and I truly hope that you all Build a Great week. Find someone you love and tell them they are an important piece of your life’s puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment