Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Priorities


Hello everyone. I hope that your week was excellent.

** Stay close as @Ronb93 and I are still planning a pre Christmas food drive for local food banks** 

I am not sure about you but when I plan my day I have to constantly prioritize what needs to be done, what’s pressing and what may be able to wait for another time . This should be common place for all that we do. It seems most often these days it seems people have lost what’s important to prioritize not just in our personal lives but the world in general.
I was looking at an article in the paper and on twitter the other day that described public outrage over the fact that Santa Claus is depicted as promoting smoking in children because in all stories he has a pipe in his mouth. REALLY? I am not sure about you but as a child I never once looked at a picture of Santa and said “hey lets go out back and light up a pipe”. Please don’t get me wrong I do not condone children smoking as YES it is not a healthy thing to do for any of us. My problem is why is all of this energy  going into a petty issue when we could use that kind of focus and passion to fill a food bank, help the homeless, advocate and fund raise to cure Cancer, MS, HIV/AIDS.
You turn on the TV each night and see story after story about shootings and arsons and another Rioter being sentenced to weekends in jail and needing to write an apology letter. What I would like to see is stories about the person who helped the victims of a shooting, the firemen that put out the fire; the Good Samaritan that tried to stop the riots in Vancouver. If all we see on a daily basis is the bad side of society that is unfortunately what our kids and the generations going forward will see also and become even more desensitized.
I wish there is some way that  a weekly hero from a community is highlighted, show that person/persons to the world and make sure that you, your kids and all the people around you could see what a role model should look like.
I have decided for those who read this post each week that I will single a person or persons out that deserve to be recognized for their contributions to society or their community. I ask that if any of you would like to, please submit each week a short story about the person and why you think they should be recognized to FVsecretsanta@gmail.com. I will not be able to post them all, but I will make sure that a whichever story is chosen that week a personal letter is written to the individual or individuals from myself and on behalf of the followers of @FVSecretSanta thanking them for their contribution, and for  being someone we consider being a role model in their community.  
This week’s role models in my opinion are 2 people that are known for their faces on TV but I am not sure that people know exactly what they do for their communities.
@ChrisGalius &@Sophielui
These two people come into our homes each day on the news cast and tell us about the struggles of our world and the despair that people face. When their shift is done and on the weekends these two individuals make a concerted effort to better out communities by using the notoriety that they have to advocate for causes all over the Vancouver area.

Chris Galius :
Outside of the newsroom, Chris actively supports the BC Children's Hospital, Canuck Place Children's Hospice, and organizations that support research and treatment of Diabetes and Arthritis. Chris and his wife Jane also encourage the adoption of animals and have one dog (Dottie, a Maltese) and one cat (Mocha, a mixed breed)I have had the personal pleasure of interacting with him on more than one occasion regarding a family issue and he is a kind and considerate man.
Sophie Lui
When Sophie’s not reporting on human-interest stories, she’s busy being a part of them: She makes up to six public appearances every month. “You develop relationships with non-profits,” she says. “I have a hard time saying no to something I think is important.” One cause that’s close to her heart is HIV and AIDS awareness, for which Sophie has become an advocate. “It sounds corny, but I don’t like to see people treated differently,” she says. “There’s been a progression in research, and in our attitudes toward HIV and AIDS, but it’s still easier for people to talk about other diseases. There’s so much misunderstanding about it.”Sophie often ditches her self-imposed 10 p.m. curfew to emcee fundraisers for various causes, although she pays the price the next day.

Special thanks to those two and the rest of the Global BC family. Find them on twitter, tell them Thank you and give them a follow. Our community is lucky to have them.
Have a great week everyone and let people know they have lots of time to jump on the Santa train 
Special helpers this week are the incredible @energyworks333 @gypsy_mamma @sweetestnagel
@danieldafon and so many more
FVsecretsanta
FVsecretsanta@Gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment