Friday, August 24, 2012

Who is Fraser valley Secret Santa

Hello everyone
As a young man who grew up with a single mom with 3 children who was also living with cancer, I learned at a young age that people and companies can be cruel and would rather see people suffer than extend a hand to help them.
I remember a time when we had very little food and even less money to buy more. My mom would make sure that she would pick up at least 1 extra box of KD and she would give it to the food bank.it wasn't much but she would always tell me that there are people even more sick than she was and even people more hungry and poor than us. I never understood that at the time .  truly believe that was the start of secret Santa.
Having to start work at 13 to help take a burden off my mom, I was able to better learn the value of a dollar and just exactly how far it didn't go. I appreciated all the sticks and equipment my mom had to sacrifice to pay for so I could chase my dreams of the NHL,after the fact I still remember 4am practices and her sitting in the bleachers watching me , sick, in her PJ's drinking coffee. She was the only mom there. She supported me in all that I did, she still does.

When I was growing up I had a promising career ahead in baseball and hockey, unfortunately at the age of 15 I suffered from a broken neck and my dream of a career in the NHL was over , would I have made it ? I don't know but I can still dream of what might have been. Never stop dreaming.
I met my first son just before his first birthday, he had a father that abandoned him because he was born different. My son was born missing a limb and 2 years ago was labeled borderline Autistic with a mix of ODD scattered in there for good measure . I saw how people would be cruel and react to him In public because he was different . The day I met him my life changed and Secret Santa took shape. I started making him smile and building his confidence, I know that if I make more people smile the way he makes me smile , bullying, starvation , attitudes towards helping others and the disabled
WILL change.
I have been a secret Santa in the Fraser valley for 5 years doing random good deeds for people in hopes that if the people are in a good mood maybe the next time they meet someone like my son or your child and maybe even you,they will be in better spirits and may not be so critical in their thinking. I have seen my son cry too many times because he was made fun of for being different. It's because people Are different it makes this world a unique and beautiful place. I stay secret for the fact that it's not about me or what I do , it's about what you do after I give you the gift of a smile.
 As I am now a father of 3 ,I want to set a good example as a man as a father and as someone who cares about the people that surround me .
My grandfather said to me once " find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life"  I get to play Santa all year round.
@fvsecretsanta
















3 comments:

  1. Finally getting caught up on my reading-Really God Bless u and your family. I'm un-organized in what I try 2do but I always try to help my fellow man/woman/animal because I too have struggled and been without in the past and have received help from Angels on earth that God placed in my life at just the right moment. U are an Angel Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world needs more caring and compassionate people like you ♥ Thank you for all you do for others! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you Santa! Your story is a compelling one. I sensed you were a good kind person from the tweets we've shared. Thanks for making a difference in this world!

    ReplyDelete